Thursday 30 December 2010

Shadow Catchers at V&A



I went to see the exhibition 'Shadow Catchers' at V&A today.
Shadow Catchers: Camera-less Photography

Although, the exhibition was not directly related to textile study, there were so many works which had textile elements.
I especially liked Pierre Cordier's works which were made by using the techniquie called Chemigram.
The chemigram is his original technique using Nail Vanish with photographic paper.
The works didn't look like normal photographs:They appear more compliecate, delicate and maze-like works.
I imagined if I could use this technique as my textile works, that would be great.
In his video, he said he is quite happy other people try this teqnique.

There were many other great works in the exhibition as well.
I realized the subject of photograpy is not only about using camera, it is about to catch shadows.
I felt,sometimes, camera-LESS photography tells more things than these of pictures taken with camera, even though they have less information in the screens. It catches invisible information which are normaly more beautiful and natural.

I would like to use photographic images for my textile works in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment