Friday 26 November 2010

Visit of the exhibition:DIAGHILEV and the golden age of the ballets russes 1909-1929

I visited the exhibition after lunch today.

DIAGHILEV and the golden age of the ballets russes 1909-1929
'Diaghilev's dramatic performances transformed dance, reawakening interest in ballet across Europe and America. Celebrating the company's key period of activity, this major exhibition reveals Diaghilev's enduring  influence on 20th-century art, design and fashion and includes more than 300 objects including giant theatre cloths, original costumes, set designs, props and posters by artists and designers including Léon Bakst, Georges Braque and Natalia Goncharova. These tell the story of a company which began in the social and political upheaval of pre-Revolutionary Russia and went on to cause a sensation with exotic performances that had never been seen before.' quoted from V&A official website.

It was huge exhibition. I was bit surprised when I entered the room, because I couldn't expect how bit it was from outside the door. The exhibition was amazing. Especially for me, because I did my foundation in theatre class, it was quite interesting theme. Lots of cloths, costumes, set design models, and props.I really want to see it again before its end.

One of the reason I was amazed the exhibition is the 'Orientalism'.I have images for current russian ballet 'elegance, dignified, and sophisticated'. And it is true. But I was noticed that it was not from the first time. In the exhibition, I felt 'orientalism' because of the color of the costume and the style of the makeup rather than feeling of elegance. They used bright color and bizarre shapes for their costumes and ethnic landscape paints for the back grounds. In addition, people at the time did not look on the company as we know it today for example, elegance and high class entertaiment. I think, it was looked more unwashed-entertaiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment