Friday 5 November 2010

Accompanied visit to the British Museum

We visited to the British Museum after lecture with Dr Clare Rose.
She mainly introduced us Welcome gallery and African Art section.
                                                                                                    welcome gallery
TASK
In the African art section:
Look at the different ways of artcrafts from African Art shown in the museum. There may be different types of display in the same museum. Each display makes different choice about context, lighting, and information, and these choice give different messages about Africa.
●What are the messages about African culture given by the display in different museum?
One is about African culture and religion. The other is about war  and passing time.
●Are there any relevant topics that are NOT addressed in the displays?
I would like to say yes, but as I'm not familiar with African culture, I can not point exactly what it is.
08022011↓
 Yesterday I found an article from a magazine 'VINE' free magazine for kensington, which shows the present condition of Africa. It picks up a life in slums. The content was slightly shocking for me, even I  knew about the condition before reading. Or, I thought I knew. I can not explain all about the topic now which is too long, but I'm sure there are lots of lifes in this world which are far beyond from my imagination. I felt I need to know more about outside, think about them and do action for and with them.
●Why not?
Actually, I'm not sure whether the topic is in the museum or not. But as I remember, there was no such topics in the section. Why not? I try to guess,,,I think, this topic is more related to the section of post war time rather than African culture which was in the welcome gallery, but the post war exhibition represents the positive side of current Africa, for example, recovery from the damege of war, weapons. So, the negative side of Africa, povety, could not be exhibited together? This is only my guess though.

In the Living and Dying exhibition:
There are artcrafts from all over the world that show how people think about life.
●What would you collect to symbolise how you think about life?
I basically do not have a religion. So I don't have anything to trust, believe or pray religiously...so,,,I would like to say, I collect memories such as pictures, letters from family and etc,,,then these are going to be my emotional support to survive. I think, the qualities of these decide my profundity.
●What would you collect to show the difference between your ideas and these of parents.
I think it's same.

No comments:

Post a Comment